Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Workouts 1/13-1/15

Well the remainder of last week was shot between long work days and travelling to Oregon for a wedding. Actually it wasn't so much the travelling as packing. Mr. E and I were going to work out on 1/10, but by the time we got out of work we had enough to do just to pack for our pre-dawn flight the next day. Saturday was wedding day, not much time there. So Sunday we got up and hauled ourselves to the hotel gym. Get this, the hotel has 2 gyms. 1 which I'm sure is extremely nice, but they charge you an arm and a leg to use it while you stay there (I'm sure it goes towards buying nice things for the owner's grandaughters/daughters who can't seem to stay out of the press....), or they have the "other" gym where the rest of the world who's company isn't picking up the tab use. Mr. E and I got there and there were 2 treadmills open (out of 3) - good. I got on one and it was broken - bad. So I did 30 minutes on the elliptical machine while Mr. E ran. Monday we were to fly out at just after noon, so got up early and went back to the "other" gym. Same 2 treadmills open. This time I got the not-broken one and Mr. E did the elliptical. I'm not sure men can look manly on an elliptical, but that's another subject. Anyway, it actually went pretty well for having been away for 5 days or so.

Stats:
5 min warm at 4.0 MPH
25 min run at 5.2 MPH
5 min cool
Total distance (about) 2.7 miles

Then we were back at work on Tuesday (after getting home at about 1 the night/morning before.) Went to the gym after work. The new year's resolution crowd hasn't thinned out as much as I'd like yet. Mr. E was already there, but I managed to get the treadmill next to him. We've discovered that time goes faster if you're not staring at that annoying little clock on the treadmill, so I've become one of those people who covers up the display with the almost as soft as sandpaper complementary towel. I also have determined that not all treadmills are created equal and some are just either (a) faster or (b) lying. The same 5.2 MPH that I'd ran the day before felt sooo much faster! It may have to do with the difference between working out in the AM v. the PM, but seriously! I did slow down a bit about 2/3 the way through, but otherwise finished the 25 minute run. On the 17th we have the informational meeting for the 10K training team we are going to join, so that'll add a new dimension to training soon.

Stats:
5 min warm at 4.0 MPH
25 min run at 5.2 MPH reduced to 5.1 MPH at some point
5 min cool
Total distance 2.74 MPH (and I went slower...some machine is lying!)

No comments: